Monday, April 25, 2011

Black Bean Hummus

One of my favorite recipes for black bean enchiladas calls for simmered black beans.  Since I was making a big pot of black beans, I decided to go ahead and make some yummy hummus as well!

Ingredients:
2 c cooked black beans, drained well
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1/4 c tahini
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp reduced sodium tamari (that's just soy sauce - and I used the full sodium version and it was fine!)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro (I left this out because I used cilantro when I cooked the beans and I don't care for raw cilantro)


Directions:
Combine black beans, garlic, tahini, cumin, tamari and lemon juice in food processor.  (I did this in two parts because I have a mini food processor - worked fine!)
Pulse until smooth and all ingredients are combined.
Transfer to a serving bowl and fold in cilantro (or don't if you're like me and don't care for it).
Enjoy!

Costs:
Black Beans - $1.50 (I bought a bag of 'em, so most of this bag will be used in my black bean enchiladas)
Tahini - $1.25 (Actually, I already had this because I used it to make regular hummus.  I estimate I used about 1/6 of it and a can is about $7.50)


I already had the garlic, cumin, soy sauce and lemon juice, so for $2.75 I have delicious hummus for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment