Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I've been neglecting you... so here's some Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili with Sweet Potatoes

It's a new year, and time for some new recipes!  Today's recipe comes from Real Simple via my friend Jess.

Ingredients:
1 medium red onion, chopped (I used a white onion)
1 green bell pepper, chopped (I used 1 1/2 green peppers because I had some leftover from another meal)
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of cumin
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
kosher salt and pepper
1 28 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I used 2 14.5 oz cans)
1 15.5 oz can black beans, rinsed
1 15.5 oz can kidney beans, rinsed
1 medium sweet potato (about 8 oz), peeled and cut into about 1/2 inch pieces (I used 2 small sweet potatoes)

Directions:
  1. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the onion, pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, cinnamon, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Add the tomatoes (and their liquid), beans, sweet potatoes and 1 cup water.
  2. Cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chili has thickened, on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
  3. Serve the chili with sour cream, scallions, radishes and tortilla chips.  (I only got tortilla chips).
Costs:
Onion - $.94
1 Bell pepper - $1.00
2 cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes - $2.38 
1 can black beans - $.89
1 can kidney beans - $.89
2 small sweet potatoes - $1.85
(I already had all the spices and garlic at home)

TOTAL: $7.95 or less than $2 per serving!

It's currently cooking away, so I'll post review and picture tonight when we eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment