Tuesday, January 4, 2011

More Veggie Fun

Tonight we're going to have Sweet Potato Enchiladas.  I know many of you are thinking "YUCK!" but these babies are delicious.  To see the original recipe, which is for a gluten-free version, click on the title of this post.  Some big changes I made were using flour tortillas, which were on sale and also allowed me to avoid the "softening" part of the recipe.

Ingredients:
8 tortillas (recipe calls for corn, but I used flour this time)
1c vegetable broth
1tbsp cornstarch (original recipe uses arrowroot, but we already had cornstarch)
2 cans of roasted green chiles, diced (I bought 2 7oz cans which were already roasted and chopped)
6 cloves of garlic
2 cups of sweet potatoes
1 15oz can of black beans (sometimes I make mine from dried beans using this recipe; especially if I'm going to make black bean enchiladas for a picky eater)
lime juice (recipe calls for juice from a fresh lime, but we already had a bottle of lime juice in the fridge)
1tsp cumin
1tsp chili powder
salt and pepper
shredded cheese (I used a shredded cheddar jack mix - the recipe calls for Monterey Jack only)
The recipe also calls for fresh cilantro, but I'm one of those people who think it tastes like soap, so I left this out.

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven for 350 degrees F. 
  2. Cook the sweet potatoes and mash them a bit.  I do this by peeling the potatoes, cutting them into chunks and boiling them for 20 minutes.  Then I mash them with a fork.
  3. Make the Green Chile Sauce by dissolving the cornstarch in a bit of water.  Then mix the vegetable stock, cornstarch, 1c of the green chiles, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder and 2 cloves of minced garlic into a small sauce pan.  Simmer over medium-high heat until thickened.
  4. Meanwhile, combine drained black beans, 4 cloves of minced garlic, and lime juice in a bowl to make the black bean filling.
  5. Make the sweet potato filling by combining the sweet potatoes with the rest of the green chiles, 1/2 tsp of chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin, salt and pepper to taste.  I like to add a pinch of ground chipotle chili pepper for a smoky flavor.
  6. Drizzle 1/2 c of the Green Chile Sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.  Recipe only calls for 1/4 c, but I don't think that's enough!
  7. Get ready to stuff your enchiladas.  Place your first tortilla in the baking pan and add 1/8 of sweet potato filling and 1/8 of black bean filling.*  I like to sprinkle a little cheese inside as well, but the original doesn't call for this.  Roll up the enchilada and place at the edge of the pan.  Continue with the remaining tortillas.
  8. Top with the remaining Green Chile Sauce and cheese. 
  9. Bake for 20-25 minutes in 350 degree oven until the enchiladas are hot and bubbly.
*If you use corn tortillas, you will need to soften the tortillas before putting in the filling.  See original recipe for instructions if you are unfamiliar.


Cost:
Tortillas - $2.79 I got them on sale and still have 8 leftover!
Vegetable broth - $1.29
Green chiles - $2.98
Shredded cheese - $2.29
Sweet potatoes - $2.75
Garlic - $.63

I already had cornstarch, lime juice and all the spices I used.  The original author gives other options for spices you can use instead (including curry powder) if you are looking for substitutes.  This recipe totals $12.73 and will probably feed us for a few meals as well.

3 comments:

  1. The flour tortillas were a little chewy, but overall I think this turned out tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds pretty delicious... I (heart) all things sweet potato!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug is making these right now...I'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete