Monday, January 3, 2011

Want Veggies?

The roomie said she wanted veggies this week, so here we go!  Tonight I'm making Roasted Vegetable Lasagne that I pulled off a Weight Watchers website a few years ago.  Here's the recipe with my modifications:

Ingredients:
2 medium raw eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (Not included in original recipe - replaced a 3rd eggplant with this to make it more colorful)
4 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
4 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
9 dry lasagne noodles (I'm using the no boil kind)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (The recipe calls for 3/4 a cup... but really?)

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

2) Combine the veggies, garlic and olive oil in a roasting pan and bake for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  I had to use two pans because there are so many veggies!

3) Place half of the veggies, salt, pepper and 1/2 c of water in a food processor and process until smooth.  Since I only have a mini food processor, I had to break this down into smaller batches.

4) Spoon 1/2 a cup vegetable puree into bottom o f 9x13 inch baking dish.  I'm going to use a 9x9 dish and a bread pan.  We'll eat the 9x9 this week and throw the bread pan in the freezer to eat at a later date.

5) Place 3 noodles over the puree.  Top with 1/2 a cup of puree, 1/2 a cup of remaining vegetables, 2 tbsp Parmesan, and 2/3 c mozzarella cheese (original only calls for 1/4 c if you're looking to be more healthy).  Repeat layers and then top with remaining 3 noodles, puree and cheese.

6) Bake until bubbly, about 45 minutes.  Serve!

Cost: 
Eggplant - $3.80
Red Bell Peppers - $5.51
Zucchini - $2.27
Tomatoes - $4.72 (but I only used 4 of the 5)
Shredded Mozzarella - $2.29

We already had the garlic, olive oil, spices and lasagne noodles at home and I used some leftover Romano cheese instead of Parmesan... so it was a grand total of $18.59. I've got 3 meals for me and the roomie and an extra tomato.  Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment